Saturday, September 29, 2012

Interview with Poet & Fiction Writer Sandy Green

~ A short time ago, poet & fiction writer Sandy Green asked if she could interview me for her personal blog.  She features various interviews with not only poets but fiction writers and other creative types.  I accepted her offer and she sent some great questions my way.  Well, I'd like to do the same thing with my personal blog and who better than Sandy Green to invite as my first interviewee.  For as long as I can remember, I have always been curious about other people's lives and what they are thinking.  It's a surprise I didn't go into journalism.  Here is the interesting interview:




What or who inspired you to write poetry?
I always remember writing stories and poems. Sometimes overhearing a conversation, or not quite hearing the words correctly, gives me an idea for a poem. I love language. In junior high school, I couldn’t wait to learn enough French words to write a poem in French!

Do you have a favorite place to write?
I have a small tigerwood escritoire (I love that word) in front of a window that overlooks the flowers on my deck and the woods beyond. A good view is essential to writing! Even a nice picture helps.

What is the hardest and easiest part of the writing process for you?
The hardest part is getting a kernel of an idea, something substantial I can build a poem or story around. The easiest part is revising. There are so many choices in wording, and it’s fun to see where the poem or story will go.

What topics do you like to write about?
I like to write about quiet things, like what might go on in somebody’s head or the meaning of the placement of objects. I like to explore relationships and reactions.

Who are your favorite poets, alive or deceased?
Billy Collins is one of my favorite poets! His determination that the meaning of poems should be accessible to anyone who reads it is a great viewpoint. I, also, love the writing of Pete Hamill. He’s not a poet, per se, but his writing is so lyrical and stunning it reads like poetry.

What five words best sum up your personality? 
Determined, solitary, quiet, funny (at least I think so), and creative (at least I hope so).

Other than writing, what else do you love to do?
I love to read, take photographs, and go outside for exercise. I have a degree in dance and have recently agreed to lead the teen liturgical dance group at my church.

Describe your perfect day.
Go for a run outside where it’s 64ยบ and sunny with no humidity. Have a pot of tea with an English muffin and poached egg. Add an interesting post on my blog and get lost for several hours in the world I’ve set up in a current poetry or story manuscript. Have my college-aged children check in with me without my having to spy on them via Facebook. Eat dinner OUT with my husband and watch a movie or a PBS video series.

What are your current, and/or next projects? 
Penumbra Publishing recently published my middle grade fantasy The Tide Changers about a thirteen-year-old boy who confronts his fear of the water after losing his father to a diving accident three years ago and finds out a startling secret about himself. Currently, I’m working on a YA trilogy and editing the first book in the series for my agent with the Blue Ridge Literary Agency.

Where can we reach you? 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sandy.green.104 
Blog: The Sandy Side of Life
Website: http://www.sandygreen.webs.com/

Thanks Sandy for a great interview!

1 comment: